Two very good friends of mine, who have fallen in love, have lost their jobs. Well, the love and the eventual arrival of a newborn forced them to resign from their posts. It is sad, and unfortunate, and also leads me to second guess some of the decisions in their office environment. Without getting into detail, there just seems to be some hypocritical situations going on. On the other hand, my friends made a mistake or two and now they have to learn from those mistakes. They are both tremendous people, both with such drive and determination. I hurt for them, not because of their new found love or because they will have a child together, but because they have had to remove themselves from something they love. They will land on their feet, there is no doubt in my mind about this. I'll do anything I can to help them. There are good people you meet in your life, and the only way to show those good people you appreciate them is to be there for them in their time of need. It is the very least I can do.
Well, the past month has seen me take two trips to Athens, create a credo for this summer, host the SEC Track and Field Championship, and watch our baseball team fall out of the SEC championship. Chronological order works best, so here goes nothing:
2) Exercise more - I've been on a good routine all spring, but the past month has kept me too busy. I need to get back on the wagon!
3) Do more things outside - Hiking, jet skiing, swimming ... just enjoy the beautiful southern summer.
4) Be more outgoing with folks I don't know - I've had some friends say to me, "Jay, you can get along with anyone." Well, I want to put that more to the test. I want to meet new people and I want to be more aggressive when it comes to talking with women. No need to sit on my hands while I'm out on the town.
5) Make contacts at NACDA - This is a conference for college athletic administrators. Plain and simple, get to know more people. Don't kiss ass, but just befriend new colleagues.
6) ENJOY vacations - I took very little vacation last summer, and they were usually short. I want to take sizeable vacations and actually enjoy my time away from work.
7) Be a playboy - Now, I'm not saying become a HO, but I want to let my personality shine a little more. I want what everyone else does ... to be wanted. Life is more fun that way.
8) Nissan Z - I've been talking about this car for months. I am challenging myself to find a way to make it happen. I don't make rash decisions, so it'll be well thought it. If at the end of the summer I feel like I can't do it, then so be it.
9) Find a good date to the James Taylor concert - It is July 30, and I have two tickets. that shouldn't be too difficult.
10) Organize my work stuff - I tend to keep a messy office, yet I know where everything is. I can improve on this.
11) Become a better family member and friend - My Dad has retired, my sister has one more year of grad school and my mom is still keeping herself busy. I just want to be a better support system for them. I think of myself as a good friend, but I've become increasingly selfish over the past few years. Friends and family mean the world to me, so it is time to reorganize them in my priorities.
12) Get a little crazy from time to time - Be safe, but just enjoy my life. Let loose a little more. Go dancing some night. Be true to me, but make sure you have a damn good time doing so.